[Politics] SNP what next ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Whatever happens from here I hope its bad for the SNP, their nationalism is as toxic as Little Englanders.....
Is it?

I don't remember seeing any toxic messaging coming out from the SNP about England in general. There are plenty of comments about being governed by the politicians in Westminster, but I can't say I blame them for being anti this tory government.

Everything I've heard from them has been legitimate conversation about the best way for Scotland to be governed.

I've got to say I have huge sympathy for the Scottish people in being dragged out of the EU having voted heavily in favour of staying and can see why they want to be independent in the face of the horrific tory government elected by the English. I personally would rather the union stayed intact, but if there were a clear mandate for them to leave one day, we shouldn't try to stand in their way.

The next government needs to massively engage the nations of the UK, as Wales, Scotland and NI, could all be offski if we continue to ignore their interests.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Is it?

I don't remember seeing any toxic messaging coming out from the SNP about England in general. There are plenty of comments about being governed by the politicians in Westminster, but I can't say I blame them for being anti this tory government.

Everything I've heard from them has been legitimate conversation about the best way for Scotland to be governed.

I've got to say I have huge sympathy for the Scottish people in being dragged out of the EU having voted heavily in favour of staying and can see why they want to be independent in the face of the horrific tory government elected by the English. I personally would rather the union stayed intact, but if there were a clear mandate for them to leave one day, we shouldn't try to stand in their way.

The next government needs to massively engage the nations of the UK, as Wales, Scotland and NI, could all be offski if we continue to ignore their interests.
If a member of the Union wants to leave all the members need to be in favour of it, we can't have this huge decision being dictated by 2.5% of the UK population.

That aside with Johnson has gone, Sturgeon has gone, they're a busted flush

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Is it?

I can't speak for @nicko31 but I took a close interest in the SNP and their supporters as I live now in an staunchly Plaid Cymru area of Wales. As I alluded to earlier, the SNP and PC paint themselves as welcoming and progressive, scratch the surface though and there is a toxicity that may suprise you. Westminster or, more bluntly, 'the English' are to blame for basically everything, perjorative comments about 'the English' are widely accepted. Toxic is the perfect word for it.

I could be wrong about the SNP and Scotland, in real life they and their supports bear no resemblance to their online persona but I doubt it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I can't speak for @nicko31 but I took a close interest in the SNP and their supporters as I live now in an staunchly Plaid Cymru area of Wales. As I alluded to earlier, the SNP and PC paint themselves as welcoming and progressive, scratch the surface though and there is a toxicity that may suprise you. Westminster or, more bluntly, 'the English' are to blame for basically everything, perjorative comments about 'the English' are widely accepted. Toxic is the perfect word for it.

I could be wrong about the SNP and Scotland, in real life they and their supports bear no resemblance to their online persona but I doubt it.
OK. I just don't think I've ever heard a politician from the SNP or PC say anything pejorative about the English as a people.

Maybe some of their individual members may have privately said discriminatory comments about the English, but what would you expect from a bunch of backwater jockos high on having watched Braveheart too may times, or a leek wielding Welshie who probably doesn't know better than relying on generic ill informed anti English tropes :)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If a member of the Union wants to leave all the members need to be in favour of it, we can't have this huge decision being dictated by 2.5% of the UK population.
That's obviously not how self determination works

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
OK. I just don't think I've ever heard a politician from the SNP or PC say anything pejorative about the English as a people.

Maybe some of their individual members may have privately said discriminatory comments about the English, but what would you expect from a bunch of backwater jockos high on having watched Braveheart too may times, or a leek wielding Welshie who probably doesn't know better than relying on generic ill informed anti English tropes :)
No you won't have done, they're too smart for that! In fairness, I'm sure, (know in the case of PC)there are many that are very fair minded and truly believe that the interests of their people are better served by being outside of the UK. The means they use to argue that case though are often or always to paint the UK/England as some sort of ogre.

In Wales in particular, the independence campain ('Indy' hey kids, how much cooler are we than the 'brit nats') is the most introspective, regressive thing you'll see. It's largely based on language and culture, how can we get our kids to stay and keep the foreigners out, that sort of stuff.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
People talk about the "camper van" like it cost a billion pounds.

It cost £110k.

Plenty of "normal" people buy more expensive camper vans. I'm sure Nicola could be able to afford one on her previous wages.

How about we talk about Sunak paying his cronies £3bn for PPE? Using his private jet that costs tax payer's £50k per day? How about his insider trading that will ensure that his father in law in India will rake in £1.5bn from the North Sea?

All that makes £110k look like pennies.

Why not flip the narrative?

We keep hearing that England subsidises Scotland (since the Oil was discovered in the North Sea. What a coinkidink). So why don't England stop it?

Or better yet, if Scotland don't contribute to the Union why have England never sought independence?

Why were England so keen to cut ties with the Union but are petrified of parting with Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland?

Simple. £1.5trillion have been raked in from the North Sea and apparently there's another £1.5trillion down there. At least.

Strange, Scotland were told that the North Sea would be bone dry by 2019 by the "Better together" Labour and Tory coalition.

There are 355 English MPs. Not one MP campaigns to kick out Scotland. Strange, if Scotland were subsidised you'd think the powers that be would want to cut ties.

There was a recent poll that claims that 44% of England identifies with the Union flag, whereas only 10% Identifies with the St George's. Contrast that with 51% of Scots and 46%of Welsh people who identify with the Saltire and Welsh flag.

And don't even get me started on the national anthems. If England left the Union (With the UK being Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), what national anthem would they use?

We all know that the UK is not a Union of equals. England are the head of the UK, which is why the National anthem is England oriented and the UK flag is loved by the English.

Namaste.

#EnglishIndependence
Would you like a chip to balance up the other shoulder?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's obviously not how self determination works
Not in favour of self determination. Prefer a large collective.

If I declared UDI I would have to negotiate water gas and electricity with my neighbours. And I don't trust them. I have only asparagus to barter with. ???

And my free collective bargaining powers in the market place would be given one, up the wrong un, whence I ventured out to buy fish and meat.

As for my nuclear weapons capability, I would have Sergei and Vlad sitting on my sofa, watching Whitehouse and Mortimer before I could say 'that's my seat, you expansionist bastards"

The UK is the way for me
One nation, under a tree
The tree of life, it's the way to be
Tum tee tum tee tum tee tee.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that there are several small nations doing very well in the EU, I.e. Ireland, Denmark, Croatia, so I think independence will always have a lot of support in Scotland and those supporters will be predisposed to being sympathetic to the SNP. Swinney was a good appointment. But it is Labour's time so the SNP will have to suck it up for now.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Well looks to me that should Labour hit The SNP hard at the ballot box J/S is out with K/F in theory lined up to be Swinney's successor however Forbes political POV will not sit well with the parties left wing. Much more to follow no doubt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports