Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are the club thin skinned and unable to take criticism?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well they are speaking up, but not necessarily on NSC. This is old fart central, in case you hadn't noticed.

Read Dogma. Read 'X' (i.e. Twitter) or Insta. Talk to fans in pubs before games.

I'll give you a specific example though. Fans of 'that type' banned on the say so of stewards versus nothing happening to the Liverpool fans who were in our away end at Anfield.
That's unfair.

But they have a legitimate grievance only if they were unfairly banned. Someone else getting away with something is annoying but irrelevant. Like when I was legitimately done for speeding but the bloke speeding behind me wasn't.

I was hoping for a more substantial example of a grievance.

I agree with @Bozza that there is a danger of young complainants appearing a tad needy. And beware of getting too 'down wiv da kids. You're nearly as old as me!

I am moving farther and farther away from 'Barber OUT!' by the minute, now...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And let me recap before we get into too much granularity about grievances and yoof.

I have been very clear about what attitude to TB and PBOBE I find objectionable.
It is the accusation of dishonesty. And in the context of this thread, 'thin skinned and unable to take criticism'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ive my reasons. And I don’t think this is the best place to discuss them.
OK, fair enough.

But if they inform your narrative then it risks becoming the sound of one hand clapping.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why don't they feel valued and can you provide some examples of things the club could do to make them feel valued?

I'll be honest - it all sounds a bit needy to me, but I'm willing to have my mind changed.
You'd mostly have to ask them.

I've already stated an example just above though - kicking out opposition fans in our end, home and away, would at least be consistent with the five game bans handed out for ticket infringements or disputed ejections. Another is lack of representation on the FAB / lack of FAB being taken seriously. That's from pub / away day discussions etc.

If I had any say in it I'd also stop the ability for 1901 members to pass on their tickets and create an additional pricing buffer of under 30s, cheaper than full adult but more than junior. At that age many youngsters are either saddled with Uni debt or on low paid apprenticeships or manual jobs. Finally, from what I understand, My Albion + members found it impossible to convert to a season ticket, though this one is pure heresay.

In general I'd say as a club we treat away fans much differently to home, whether it was the bullying of the guy in the East Stand by Chelsea or pyro.

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
Sussex
That's unfair.

But they have a legitimate grievance only if they were unfairly banned. Someone else getting away with something is annoying but irrelevant. Like when I was legitimately done for speeding but the bloke speeding behind me wasn't.

I was hoping for a more substantial example of a grievance.

I agree with @Bozza that there is a danger of young complainants appearing a tad needy. And beware of getting too 'down wiv da kids. You're nearly as old as me!

I am moving farther and farther away from 'Barber OUT!' by the minute, now...
Can you not search the internet and find the answers? Or engage with the younger fans?

We all support one team but there seems to be a dismissive attitude without evidence. Most of us are aware of the contradictions at play and the control of the narrative. Christ, you can’t mention the post office scandal without alarm bells ringing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Losing the best manager we’ve ever had that wants ready made players after making over £120 million profit … yes
I forgot you sunk your own fortune into the club and were looking for a least some resemblance of financial sustainability after a decade of loss making.:lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whereas yours a is based on zilch.
We were reflecting on your grievance, which you decline to discuss, and how this means that it is difficult for anyone else to understand your narrative, given that it is informed by your grievance.

My narrative is based on 55 years of watching the Albion. If that is zilch to you......I am inclined to suspect that you are even more arrogant than me. And that's saying something.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We were reflecting on your grievance, which you decline to discuss, and how this means that it is difficult for anyone else to understand your narrative, given that it is informed by your grievance.

My narrative is based on 55 years of watching the Albion. If that is zilch to you......I am inclined to suspect that you are even more arrogant than me. And that's saying something.
Can I interject briefly...

@Harry Wilson's tackle - we've known each other well for a long, long time. I've not met @Talby, we've liaised extensively over the last year or so.

You're both fine chaps and I'm entirely confident you would very much enjoy each other's company, probably over a bottle or two.

For the record, I know why @Talby feels the way he does, and I expect I would feel the same if I'd had the same experience.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
. And beware of getting too 'down wiv da kids. You're nearly as old as me!
I own a nearly 18 year old. It's my duty to listen to him.

I'm also part funding his travels, whereas, when I was that age I went home and away funded by part time work at the CoOp. Another thing that's changed for the worst (though here we can blame the whole Premier League, privatised rail. disappearing work for students etc).

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
Sussex
And let me recap before we get into too much granularity about grievances and yoof.

I have been very clear about what attitude to TB and PBOBE I find objectionable.
It is the accusation of dishonesty. And in the context of this thread, 'thin skinned and unable to take criticism'.
We are all very aware of your view.

Yoof…how wonderfully disparaging. I take it you’ve not got a healthy regard for our younger supporters then?

If you have a club with a set of values, charter, policies and make various statements via matchday programmes and the media then there should be a reasonable expectation that these are adhered to.

Dishonesty is done knowingly and is associated with deceitful, illegal behaviour. No one has accused the club of that.

But they haven’t taken ‘criticism’ well in the past - even though they’ve implemented change without publicly acknowledging their error in the first place.

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
Sussex
Can I interject briefly...

@Harry Wilson's tackle - we've known each other well for a long, long time. I've not met @Talby, we've liaised extensively over the last year or so.

You're both fine chaps and I'm entirely confident you would very much enjoy each other's company, probably over a bottle or two.

For the record, I know why @Talby feels the way he does, and I expect I would feel the same if I'd had the same experience.
Indeed. Thank you.

I’m not unreasonable and accept that some have a different view to me but I do wish people would take on board that the views of some are valid, even though they don’t align with your own.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Working up till now. Leeds went downhill after Bielsa left.
They went downhill quite a while before he was sacked.

From: https://www.goal.com/en-gb/lists/ri...gation/blt1c9a087011f37725#csc36001c766ca5886

1716290037186.png

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
Finally, from what I understand, My Albion + members found it impossible to convert to a season ticket, though this one is pure heresay.
FWIW I quite openly expressed frustration with the process of upgrading from MA+ member to season ticket holder this spring -- it's what led me to create an account and start posting here -- but in all fairness I did secure a decent seat in the end. I just wish the eligibility criteria had taken into account total points or away attendance and not been reduced to home league attendance.

Agreed re treatment of away fans, though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
FWIW I quite openly expressed frustration with the process of upgrading from MA+ member to season ticket holder this spring -- it's what led me to create an account and start posting here -- but in all fairness I did secure a decent seat in the end. I just wish the eligibility criteria had taken into account total points or away attendance and not been reduced to home league attendance.

Agreed re treatment of away fans, though.
Yep, that was exactly what I was told.

It takes a real effort for MA+ folk to go to away games, given the STH first points scheme. Then, when they try to join the STH group they're behind people who live 5 mins from the Amex. Glad it worked out in the end though :thumbsup:

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
I wouldn't worry. They'll become victims of the cherry pickers like we were/are. Any team that mounts any sort of challenge towards the top 7 has a bigger task trying to maintain it. Constant speculation for players and the manager can change things very quickly as we have found out this season.
I’m not sure they will
They seem to hold onto players and I would be at all suprised if Eze and Olise are still at Palace next season

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm not sure either of them see it that way..
They will both be expected to work far harder in a Liverpool or City side and neither would be first picks in those teams.
United aren't really offering anything other than prestige at the moment.

If the wages are right, I can see them staying put. Olise rejected an offer from Chelsea last season iirc.
I definitely think they will try and leverage more out of Palace as part of the negotiations.

Palace have a very different model to ours.
When wages are doubled they will see it that way.
And I hate to say it, but its still United
Plenty of sides will be in for both of them. I can see City coming for Olise if they move Siva on and Grealish.

Money talks and 99% of the time will make it happen

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
When wages are doubled they will see it that way.
And I hate to say it, but its still United
Plenty of sides will be in for both of them. I can see City coming for Olise if they move Siva on and Grealish.

Money talks and 99% of the time will make it happen
I think Olise will go, but I can see Beaky using the freed up wages to secure Eze, by offering him a substantial salary increase.

I hope that is what happens as Olise is by far the better player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here