[Football] Clubs to Vote on VAR removal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Offside was designed to stop goal hanging not to decide if the strikers leg hair was longer than the defenders!!
Without VAR bad official's decisions seem to even out over a season.
With VAR bad decisions are all weighted towards the less wealthy/non-historically Premier League established clubs (6th downwards)
Pen last night obvious on SA - TL on Jesus far less obvious.

Get Rid - they won't of course
This.

VAR has not only sucked the joy out of the game and made many games go on for far too long, it's also changed the interpretation and actuality of the laws of the game for the worse.

All that titting around with the handball law? All because of VAR.

Being level no longer being onside? All because of VAR.

And still 90% of the decisions made on a football pitch are subjective and still we have no consistency from match to match and ref to ref.

The Albion won't vote to scrap it though. Too invested in the corporate Premier League nonsense, just like we don't want a regulator or FAB.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Please please please please please please please please get rid. Worse change to football in my life. Has definitely reduced my enjoyment of the game and stopped me watching non Brighton games because I don't want to be getting cross all the time.

Been against it from the start conceptually, but the way they have implemented it with looking at every single goal and finding ways to disallow it is shocking and shameful.

Bin it and never bring it back unless they can automate every decision and make it as immediate as a linesman putting his flag up.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This.

VAR has not only sucked the joy out of the game and made many games go on for far too long, it's also changed the interpretation and actuality of the laws of the game for the worse.

All that titting around with the handball law? All because of VAR.

Being level no longer being onside? All because of VAR.

And still 90% of the decisions made on a football pitch are subjective and still we have no consistency from match to match and ref to ref.

The Albion won't vote to scrap it though. Too invested in the corporate Premier League nonsense, just like we don't want a regulator or FAB.
With you all the way

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Before VAR we would have been angry that our penalty claim at the start of the second half was ignored with VAR we are angry our penalty claim at the start of the second half was ignored.

:shrug: get rid

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
You can't retrain on subjective calls.
Bang on. And the reason why VAR will never work is because football is full of subjective calls. It should never have come in in the first place and should most definitely be scrapped now. But as others have said, you just know the club are depressingly going to vote to keep it, going against the view of the majority of fans.

And Brighton are no more harshly done by it than any other team - it's shit for all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The UEFA & FIFA refs are better. We've seen the matches where VAR has overturned a decision (fairly quickly) and there hasn't been days of discussions.

Taking 4 minutes to decide if someone is offside is not a clear and obvious error. It is looking for minutae.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
Thing is, that Chelsea pen would have been given last night if it wasnt for VAR. Would we just see an increase in diving? It's swings and roundabouts. On balance, I am in favour of removing VAR. Mainly so I can really enjoy a goal. The real elephant in the room is the poor officiating that clearly needs to be addressed.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Bang on. And the reason why VAR will never work is because football is full of subjective calls. It should never have come in in the first place and should most definitely be scrapped now. But as others have said, you just know the club are depressingly going to vote to keep it, going against the view of the majority of fans.

And Brighton are no more harshly done by it than any other team - it's shit for all.

Most of the time, what people mean by make refs better is make refs agree with what I think

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Wolves (hence the call to get rid) and Brighton have had more written apologies than other clubs. That's a fact.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Seems people have forgotten all the wrong decisions made before VAR... make VAR better and the refs!
But that is irrelevant. Yes there will be many mistakes made without it - but there are many being made with it too and ultimately you're never going to get to the stage where it works as the majority of calls in football are subjective and the trade off's for having it are just not worth it.

You will never be able to make VAR 'better' as there is no 'better' that everyone will agree on.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Now we have it I wouldn't get rid personally but it does need refining and speeding up. I do think an unintended consequence has been refs being de-skilled because VAR acts as a cushion to bail them out. Rather than focusing on Var spend money on better training for refs and encourage them to be more positive in cutting out play acting and time wasting etc.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Yes let's remove it. let's ignore the fact that the majority of wrong decisions have nothing to do with the technology but are all about the people (the same referees who we'll be giving the power back to) who use it. If Brexit wasn't enough we are now going to ignore the fact that again we are the only country who can't see what's staring us right in the face . Go on! I dare you! The rest of the world has only just stopped laughing at us. Let's give them a new one!
Isn't this at the heart of the issue? I don't think there is anything wrong with VAR as a concept nor with the underlying technology. The problem lies with the officials using it.

Look at the time it took to send calamity James off last night. Ridiculous.

The VAR ref should just have said "Clear and obvious error. Serious foul play Blue 24. Red card". And that's it. No point watching the same thing over and over and expecting it to change. Was almost as if the ref was trying to find a reason NOT to send James off.

VAR seems to have worked fine in tournaments and in Europe. Can't the PGMOL work with FIFA and UEFA to get our cornucopia of hopeless officials trained up by officials from other countries?

Of course, the ideal would be to have more professional players go into refereeing once they finish playing. But then how many precious and overpaid players would need the money or be prepared to "put something back" in the game when they retire? We all know the answer to that.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Make refs better by them all being consistently the same, all going by the actual rules not their interpretation. Reffing the same for all clubs! Mistakes will be made but surely they can cut some off them out.
Make VAR better by making decisions quickly. We've all said foul or no foul in seconds and they take 5 minutes. With offside, it doesn't matter what they do, there will always be a millimeter where you have to decide on or off. I would be happy to go back to the refs deciding offside but tell all tv broadcasters not to analyse it every time just undermines the refs and pisses us off!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports