Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travelling

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was going to recommend Yosemite National Park, but it is easier to get to from San Francisco. Would you consider going to SF? I wasn't a great fan of LA, but loved SF. Much more cultural with Yosemite a 'stone throw' away and added attractins such as Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge etc. You could probably get a cheap internal flight if you fancied it.

Fiji, I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Bouma National Heritage Park - http://www.bnhp.org/ Try and catch a rugby game if you can - They live and breath it and quite a spectacle. Whatever you do in Fiji, try and catch a bus along the coast - an easy and cheap way to see some cracking beaches and different parts of the island, whilst mixing with the locals.

Edit: I went down to Suva, but apparently it is slightly dodgy down there as the military are in control of the country and I think that is a real stronghold for them.

Edit again: I didn't make it to any of the islands as my travelling companion lost her passport, so we had to sort that out and missed our trip :angry:

You could try PM'ing Shingle. I don't know him personally, but I think he has been to pretty much every country through work.

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I agree with BOF on LA, San Fran is a million times better. Having said that, Universal Studios is pretty good and it is worth seeing if you can get tickets to watch a TV show getting made. I saw a pilot episode of some new political comedy at Warner Bros studios which was actually pretty funny and I'm usually very sceptical of US comedy i.e. it usually isn't funny!
Beverly Hills is worth doing a tour of just to see how awful and over-the-top most of the celebrity houses are. Hollywood itself is a bit of a dump.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Morning all, starting my world tour tomorrow. First stop LA (5 days) then off to Fiji for ten days. Any ideas on activities/day trips for those two locations? Cheers!

its the wrong time of the year to be in La to be fair, but try the beaches

Venice
Huntington
Santa Monica etc etc

all exceptionally nice places, not to mention the bikini clad eye candy (that won't be there mind)

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
LA really sucks, I was supposed to be there for 2 weeks, but left after 3 days - do the hollywood and belair tour, and visit universal studios and the staples centre, but thats about it.

Fiji is the best country I have ever been to. Get off the main land, and get out to the yasawa islands and get some cava into you - BULA

If you had gone from Fiji to LA you would have been able to see the sun set twice on the same day!

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
Has anyone on here been to the Cook Islands? if so would you recommend it?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
First stop LA (5 days)

Great place to start. Littlehampton has so much to offer the discerning traveller. The Railway Station is a fine building and the shopping is excellent. You could always do the Body Shop factory tour as well. If you have a bit of time, Bognor Regis is only a short hop along the coast and has such attractions as Butlins, Hotham Park and the delightful walk along the footpath between Upper Bognor Road and Lyon Street, known in my youth as 'Dog Shit Alley'

:thumbsup:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Morning all, starting my world tour tomorrow. First stop LA (5 days) then off to Fiji for ten days. Any ideas on activities/day trips for those two locations? Cheers!

As other people have said, San Fran is far nicer than LA, imo.
But you could always fiddle your flight details and fly into LA, then hire a car and drive the coast road up to SF and fly out from there. Or vice versa. It's a beautiful drive with some great towns to visit on the way. I did the Ocean Road in a Chrysler Sebring Convertible about six years ago and it was fab :clap2:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Fiji is the best country I have ever been to. Get off the main land, and get out to the yasawa islands and get some cava into you - BULA

The kava I had was a waste of space -- tasted like used washing up water with a hint of pepper in it. Does make your lips go numb though, if that's your thing...

The mosquitoes in Fiji are some of the most voracious I've ever come across -- take insect repellent.

And some of the cockroaches there were f**king HUGE. I spent half an hour beating one with the heel of my shoe when he invaded my room and the bastard just kept coming at me...

Can't comment on whether Suva is safe these days or not, but if it is there are some cracking curry houses there.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Has anyone on here been to the Cook Islands? if so would you recommend it?

It's pleasant enough, and the people very nice, but there's not a whole heap to do, and unless you like sitting on a beach doing nothing you could get bored.

I went self-catering, and there wasn't much choice in the shops, apart from coconut milk and tinned fish. Most of the stuff is flown in from New Zealand.

But they do produce (or did when i was there) the world's only $3 notes, and they had triangular coins.

Which was nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here