Lynch to Forest then...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don't think it is a case of him getting the hump. I think he knew of the interest in Forest and as he isn't currently first choice, it paves the way for a move he obviously wanted.

If the stories of him not wanting to start against Walsall are true ? , it's my guess he has the hump.

The fact that he put in a written transfer request recently, and has just followed it up with a further verbal request, surely confirms that he has the hump ?

Agreed that the ongoing Forest interest has most likely played it's part too though.

In footballing terms - he's a very promising talent IMO. Can't really comment on his attitude as I haven't witnessed it. As things stand, I understand why he'd want away.

Will be interested to see where this loan spell leads to.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Big shame, still say he is the best centre back we have clearly his face didn't/doesn't fit with Adams. Can see him going on to big things and Forest getting themselves a bargain in Jan. Don't think the full story has come out, why did he slap in the 2nd transfer request?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
He's good enough to be wanted by an ambitious Championship side but we can't be bothered to start him because we're so overloaded with talent at the back. Kinda funny when you think about it. I wonder whose perception of Lynch's ability is correct? Time alone will tell but I probably know the answer already.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
One point that was no doubt raised in the previous eleven pages (but here goes anyway)... wasn't it inevitable that there would be some tantrums and fall out amongst the centre halves?

El Abd, Elphick and Lynch all performed admirably for the club last year. It was one of the few positions where we didn't really need to strengthen, especially when you throw in Hinshelwood (fingers crossed) and Mayo as cover.

Signing one centre half to replace Butters kind of makes sense. Signing two was bound to upset the apple cart. It's hardly a vote of confidence for the players who did such a good job there last year.

There is one thing here that is not clear - on saturday there were posts by Race/Guy about Joel's attitude. Guy hasn't trained with the club since last season so those comments must be based on his attitude last year. I suspect this issue has been bubbling for a while and it is neither a wilkins of adams man management issue.

One thing that I dont think has been said yet is that Lynch's agent is I believe the same one as Dan Harding had whilst here>

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Rumour has it Hawkins was signed to replace Lynch at a time when a deal for him was imminent

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Point of interest - would Lynch have asked for a transfer request if Hawkins had not come along?

I'd say, looking in from the outside - it can't be ruled in or out.

I'll stick my neck out and say no, no he wouldn't.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I doubt Forest will want to keep him, so you lynch-lovers who think he's "a great prospect with potential" ( :laugh: ) don't need to worry yourselves.

We'll see.

:thumbsup:

bigbadbonkingbob

Aug 21, 2006
Just a thought...

I would have used Lynch as bargaining power...surely Forest have a good midfielder or striker who we could have done with?

We (Forest) have a desperately thin squad because of injuries. We have a very good crop of youngsters who will be going out on loan this season, but I suspect that you're probably not looking for talented but raw.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In an ideal world Lynch will show the attitude that Guy Butters spoke of and Forest will not follow up the loan with a purchase and he will return to us in November and knucle down and fufill his obvious potential with us or get sold for good fee.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In an ideal world Lynch will show the attitude that Guy Butters spoke of and Forest will not follow up the loan with a purchase and he will return to us in November and knucle down and fufill his obvious potential with us or get sold for good fee.

Seeing as Guy Butters is still very much connected with the club, and so is Joel Lynch, I personally find it a bit out of order if Butters has been criticising Lynch's attitude publicly.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Lynch will do very well at Forest. We will have seen the last of him, and I think thats a tragedy. One of the best young players at the club. Find it hard to believe we are doing this.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Seeing as Guy Butters is still very much connected with the club, and so is Joel Lynch, I personally find it a bit out of order if Butters has been criticising Lynch's attitude publicly.

Thats a fair comment and an obvious observation that I made, Butters is plying the club line.

Of course every player should get his head down and train hard, or whatever he said, but if as we suspect Adams has froze him out ( something that he is more than entitled to do ) then Lynch himself when offered an opportunity to go and play for a Championship Side of Notts Forest stature what advice might you offer to him.

Of course if as it seems he is not regarded as a starter for a pretty average League 1 side, I think he has every right to progress his career else where.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Knight, Harding, Hammond, O'Callaghan, Bertin, Savage, CKR and Lynch. All had more than a touch of arrogance but were booted out by the club. It's just as well that Ferguson is a tad more forgiving with Rooney and Ronaldo. Why can't we try building a team around such players rather than showing them the door?

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Knight, Harding, Hammond, O'Callaghan, Bertin, Savage, CKR and Lynch. All had more than a touch of arrogance but were booted out by the club. It's just as well that Ferguson is a tad more forgiving with Rooney and Ronaldo. Why can't we try building a team around such players rather than showing them the door?

This reflects Dick Knight more than anything else. He doesn't seem to have adjusted to the modern world in which young players who get better need to be paid more and will be hard to manage. As you say how does Ferguson cope...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
This reflects Dick Knight more than anything else. He doesn't seem to have adjusted to the modern world in which young players who get better need to be paid more and will be hard to manage. As you say how does Ferguson cope...

Er...How does it reflect on Dick Knight?

> Harding was approached by a bigger team and signed a contract.
> Knight is languishing in The Hubba Bubba Counties League.
> Hammond wanted more money and despite offering improvements to our original contract offer, we were not willing to smash our wage structure. Oh and Wilkins was effectively working for the player and agent, allegedly.
> CKR never had any intention of playing for us. We were a step up from Bury, but not worthy of his services.
> O'Callaghan (whilst I really liked the player) seemed to be a bit of a twat and found himself back in Ireland after no-one seemed willing to touch him, other than Tranmere who are screwed financially.
> Bertin went looking for another club and did not find a better offer. He was offered a dealm but stalled. We gave him a deadline and he snubbed it. Whilst I would have loved him to sign, should we be at the beck and call of a player and his agent?
> Savage - See above (Wage increase offer, then again, then again. Did not sign)
> Lynch - Unsettled by the departure of Wilkins. Wants a bigger club. We actually got him to sign a lengthy deal, so I don't see how we can blame Dick Knight for his desire to leave.

I am intrigued as to how you can spin this against Knight. From your previous posts, you are obviously not a fan.

Players want to move on. It is a fact of the game. We are a tinpot organisation all the time we play at Withdean and there are far better clubs with the financial clout to pay better wages. Is that so hard to understand?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Alternatively you could name Stam, Beckham, Ince, Van Nistelrooy, Strachan and a few others that Fergie fell out with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports