Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lynch to Forest then...

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Is he not entitled to an opinion? I happen to agree with him. He's quicker, his distribution is better. The main area that Joel needs to develop in his concentration and occaisionally, his decsion making. This will only improve with games. The other issue is that Lynch has time on his side whilst Hawkins is the wrong side of thirty and has a pretty poor record injury wise (even when compared to Joel Lynch).

Did I say that? Or did I ask him why he thought that?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Shit, forgot about that. Should have kept his place for the Scunny game when Hawkins was atrocious.

But Hawkins and Elphick were two of our better players at Yeovil the next week so on your logic we might have had one less point now if we had played Lynch.

It is a shame that he has gone but Adams says he was told he was in the team for Walsall but said he did not feel mentally right to play. A week before the biggest game we have had at Withdean, he had a real chance to establish himself and turned it down. So, more pertinently, if he had felt "mentally right" to play at the weekend he would [probably be happily lining up for us tomorrow against Man City rather than waiting for his Forest debut at Plymouth at the weekend.

I am a fan of Lynch but am pissed off with the way he has treated the club where he has come through the ranks and learnt the game.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Both have their qualities, both have their downsides.

Hawkins is solid, robust, strong in the air, reliable.
Lynch is quick, alert, good in the air and comfortable on the ball.

Both are prone to f***-ups, sometimes expensive. What's fairly clear is that they are different types of defenders.

'Better' is a highly flexible adjective.

I'm not trying to evade the question, it's not one that can have a strightforward answer, but you appear to be making out that Lynch should have been there, and that his transfer request was justified, purely because he thinks he's better.

Whether that's true or not, for me, it's not justification on its own to hand in that request. Some might argue it shows ambition, I would argue it shows impatience. What it does mean is that Lynch now has a record of handing in requests if he is not picked. That sort of thing can backfire on you.

Fair enough. I had hoped that Mickey would give Joel a clean slate, like he'd said he would in a the scunny home programme, after himn having handed in his first transfer request.

This cannot have been true, as surely Lynch should be picked ahead of an unfit Hawkins, who went on to play terribly in that match. I would think that Joel now feels that he will never get a chance, even when Hawkins or others are unfit, and so wanted out.

Mr Blunt

Apr 21, 2008
Brighton
Fair enough. I had hoped that Mickey would give Joel a clean slate, like he'd said he would in a the scunny home programme, after himn having handed in his first transfer request.

This cannot have been true, as surely Lynch should be picked ahead of an unfit Hawkins, who went on to play terribly in that match. I would think that Joel now feels that he will never get a chance, even when Hawkins or others are unfit, and so wanted out.

I see your point but why would micky play an unfit player over lynch. He obviosly didn't want to play against scunthorpe or walsall.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
I see your point but why would micky play an unfit player over lynch. He obviosly didn't want to play against scunthorpe or walsall.

I know he didn't against Walsall, but how do you know about Scunthorpe. What I'm saying is that maybe Micky didn't just base his team on what was available to him talent wise, but what had gone on before (bearing in mind, Adams rejected Lynchs transfer request so he obviously thinks he could do something at the club.)

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It is a shame that he has gone but Adams says he was told he was in the team for Walsall but said he did not feel mentally right to play. A week before the biggest game we have had at Withdean, he had a real chance to establish himself and turned it down. So, more pertinently, if he had felt "mentally right" to play at the weekend he would [probably be happily lining up for us tomorrow against Man City rather than waiting for his Forest debut at Plymouth at the weekend.

I am a fan of Lynch but am pissed off with the way he has treated the club where he has come through the ranks and learnt the game.
I don't think we know the full story.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
But Hawkins and Elphick were two of our better players at Yeovil the next week so on your logic we might have had one less point now if we had played Lynch.

This maybe true about the Yeovil game, however Adams has always said its keep the shirt - if you lose the shirt through injury and your replacement plays well thats tough you should not just walk back into team.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
One point that was no doubt raised in the previous eleven pages (but here goes anyway)... wasn't it inevitable that there would be some tantrums and fall out amongst the centre halves?

El Abd, Elphick and Lynch all performed admirably for the club last year. It was one of the few positions where we didn't really need to strengthen, especially when you throw in Hinshelwood (fingers crossed) and Mayo as cover.

Signing one centre half to replace Butters kind of makes sense. Signing two was bound to upset the apple cart. It's hardly a vote of confidence for the players who did such a good job there last year.

Signing one centre half to replace Butters kind of makes sense. Signing two was bound to upset the apple cart. It's hardly a vote of confidence for the players who did such a good job there last year.

Could it be that people at the club knew that it wouldn't be long before Lynch would be looking to move on having been linked with a move to Forest last season so had cover in place for when it happened? Is it not possible that Forest have made an illegal approach that has turned the lad's head? It is clear that something has been going on that none of us are privy to and to blame it all on Adams is ludicrous.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Could it be that people at the club knew that it wouldn't be long before Lynch would be looking to move on having been linked with a move to Forest last season so had cover in place for when it happened? Is it not possible that Forest have made an illegal approach that has turned the lad's head? It is clear that something has been going on that none of us are privy to and to blame it all on Adams is ludicrous.

Well if that's the case, why didn't they accept his transfer request before the window shut? If we were busily lining up his replacment all summer, surely we would have been willing to let him go in the autumn

Well if that's the case, why didn't they accept his transfer request before the window shut? If we were busily lining up his replacment all summer, surely we would have been willing to let him go in the autumn

It was a question-I don't claim to have the answer.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It was a question-I don't claim to have the answer.

Well I would suggest that turning down a transfer request kind of rules out your first point. I wouldn't be surprised by the illegal approach, but you still have the current situation of five centre halves (plus Hinsh) for two places.

Competition for places is healthy, but there comes a point when you can have too much of it. Lynch has played 90 odd games. He's not a youth team player who has been filling in. The same can be said for El Abd and Elphick is arguably the pick of the three. Adams chooses who we sign, so he has to get that balance right.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well I would suggest that turning down a transfer request kind of rules out your first point. I wouldn't be surprised by the illegal approach, but you still have the current situation of five centre halves (plus Hinsh) for two places.

Competition for places is healthy, but there comes a point when you can have too much of it. Lynch has played 90 odd games. He's not a youth team player who has been filling in. The same can be said for El Abd and Elphick is arguably the pick of the three. Adams chooses who we sign, so he has to get that balance right.

This is exactly the point I've made in the past. If Lynch had been on the fringes, whatever his talent, either real or perceived, he'd surely be content to bide his time. As it is, I can understand why the lad has the hump.

Last edited:

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
This is exactly the point I've made in the past. If Lynch had been on the fringes, whatever his talent, either real or perceived, he'd surely be content to bide his time. As it is, I can understand why the lad has the hump.

I don't think it is a case of him getting the hump. I think he knew of the interest in Forest and as he isn't currently first choice, it paves the way for a move he obviously wanted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here